James has never known an ordinary life. As long as he can remember, he and his family have been on the run—moving from place to place, never settling down, never growing roots. Now, just when he’s on the brink of manhood, the very thing his family has been trying to prevent tears him from all he has ever known and thrusts him into a place where he is powerless and alone.
Bent on finding a way back, James must brave a place reserved for the worst of his kind. He quickly learns that the land itself poses a greater threat than its inhabitants and if he is to have any chance of returning, he must work with the very people he’s been raised to fear.
James has known magic since just after he was born. As a sorcerer, his skills are exceptional yet when he wakes in The Never, his abilities are gone. Armed with nothing but determination and the will to survive, he braves a land wrought with dangers, mysteries and temptations meant to ensnare both body and mind and prevent escape forever.
My Review
This book was quite good. It is similar in ways to the Harry Potter books in that the character exists in a world of magic, however with one key difference, in this book anyone can learn magic if they have 'faith'. But I have to admit there are some central themes as James the chosen one is taken away from his family and must learn to survive on his own in a world of people who seek his 'special-ness', but then he is sent to the Never, a place where one never escapes from but yet, people there have also been awaiting his arrival. If you ignore some similar plot themes, this book is very well written and very well researched. The characters work well and the description of the scenes and magical world are very well done. I recommend this to YA readers, if you liked Harry Potter, then you'll like this...

Greetings!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review -I always appreciate an honest perspective. I'd like to offer a free signed copy of Exiled to one of your readers. I leave it to the blog moderator to decide how to determine a winner. If you have the winner email me their mailing address, I'll send it right out! Best,
JRW
josh@TheNeverChronicles.com